Thursday, 26 July 2012

Holy Annie, God's Granny, Pray for Us!


The Commemoration of Sts Anne and Joachim, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Grandparents of Our Lord.

A Fraternal greeting to the good folk of my former Parish of St Anne, Southowram, and having spent a delightful day yesterday in the company of our granddaughter, a prayer for all grandparents, including those, who for reasons of family difficulty, distance or circumstance, are unable to see their grandchildren regularly.


O Anne, most blessed in God, grandmother of Christ our Lord, who didst give to the world a shining lamp, the mother of God; together with her intercede that great may be the mercy granted to us.

This has been my first post for a while, for two very good reasons, firstly, a sense of being a little overwhelmed on return to work after a period of Sabbatical leave, secondly, due to an unplanned stay in Hospital leading to the removal of my Appendix, and a period of recovery that is taking far longer than I had hoped it would. There have been some good days, and some not so good, but I am incredibly grateful for so many expressions of support, so many cards and offers of practical help, and most significantly of all, for prayers offered.

It has been, as all the best reality show contestants claim, a journey - in that I have learnt a lot of stuff about myself, some of which is quite uncomfortable. Leaving aside the odd bout of flu and the occasional migraines, this has been my first ever bout of serious illness, and my first Hospital admission apart from a couple of day surgery procedures over the years. As a Healthcare Chaplain, I have been particularly struck by how it feels to be on the receiving end, especially that so much waiting around has been hard. I'm also aware how some of the spiritual strategies and resources I have sometimes offerred to those in need just don't seem to have touched the sides for me. I hope I can receive this as a prompt to humility, and I am certainly grtaeful that my enforced inactivity has given me the chance to catch up on some reading.

Good St. Anne, mother of her Who is our Life, our Sweetness and our Hope, pray to her for us, and obtain our request.